HEALTHY HOLIDAY MEALS
• Enjoy your favorite dishes – just do it in moderation! Only 1 scoop/serving of the high calorie foods.
• Fill at least ½ your plate with fruits & vegetables.
• Make a “one plate” rule & avoid going back for seconds.
• Have a healthy snack before you sit down for a large meal. Try these snacks: 1 slice of whole wheat toast & 1 tbsp. peanut butter, Greek yogurt topped with raspberries, 1 low-fat string cheese & a small apple.
• Skip the dips – they’re loaded with calories, sodium, & are high in fat.
• Drink water or use fresh fruit slices in sparkling water for a low-cal “cocktail”. If you need to warm up to a cozy drink, try low fat hot chocolate and use 1% or skim milk.
• Don’t sit around the food table and snack! Put your food on a plate and sit away from the food to eat & socialize to avoid mindless munching!
• Exercise before and after you go to a holiday party.
• Stay hydrated. Dehydration often makes you think you’re hungry! Aim for 6-8 glasses of water per day.
ACTIVE HOLIDAY TRADITIONS
• Throw the Frisbee around
• Go for a family walk
• Plan an outdoor scavenger hunt and look for different colored leaves or find different holiday decorations
• Have your family play a game of football, baseball, or basketball
• Plan a road rally and have everyone “ride” something different like roller skates, skateboards, scooters, or bikes
• Have board games that involve moving like Pictionary
• Plan a tournament using Wii fit or Wii sports
• Burn calories by turning on your favorite music and starting a dance party
• Plan to get-together with friends for a walk
• Always carry comfortable shoes & clothes in your car so you can squeeze in a walk while waiting or completing your holiday shopping
HOLIDAY COOKING SUBSTITUTIONS
Instead of this; Try this
Butter (sweet dishes); Applesauce
Butter; Olive or canola oil
Whole milk; 1% or skim milk
Heavy Cream; Use 1% or skim milk & mix in flour to thicken
Cheese; Cut the amount in ½ or use low-fat cheese
Sour Cream; Fat free sour cream or plain yogurt
Gelatin; Sugar-free Jello
Egg; Substitute 2 egg whites for 1 egg
Salt; Natural herbs (rosemary, oregano, etc.)
These tips were compiled by Julie Paul a registered dietitian with WakeMed Children’s Diabetes & Endocrinology.