WakeMed: Looking Out for Your Heart
Since WakeMed performed Wake County’s first open heart surgery in 1968, we’ve led the way in heart care. Today, WakeMed Heart Center is the area’s leader in cardiovascular care by partnering with our patients and families, physicians, clinicians and community resources to support heart health and well-being, while managing complex cardiovascular conditions, navigating ongoing care and achieving optimum health.
Our outstanding team of cardiologists, surgeons, nurses and specialists representing the highest level of expertise while utilizing the latest technology/techniques in our care for you. It’s this exceptional care and our commitment to quality and safety that has made WakeMed a cardiac leader and innovator for more than 50 years.
And we are proud to be a pioneer in Wake County, and beyond, for offering breakthrough procedures, treatments and operations:
- First Open Heart Surgery in Wake County
- First Cardiac Catheterization Procedure in Wake County
- First Angioplasty Procedure in Wake County
- First Transradial Angioplasty in the United States
- First in Wake County to treat blocked arteries with stents
- First in Wake County to use drug-eluting stents
- First in the prevention of restenosis
- First in Wake County to open carotid arteries with stents
- First minimally invasive heart surgery in Wake County
- First Hypothermia treatment in Cardiac Arrest
- First in North Carolina with 24/7 complete on-site Catheterization Lab operations
- First Wake County interventional carotid stent for stroke
- First Catheterization Lab requiring 100% Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialists (RCIS) credentials for team members in the United States
Another First in Wake County – Subcutaneous Implantable Defibrillator
Patients at risk of sudden cardiac arrest are now offered a revolutionary new option in defibrillation therapy – the Subcutaneous Implantable Defibrillator (S-ICD system), a new technology that provides lifesaving measures of defibrillation therapy without touching the heart.
Nationally Recognized in Cardiac Care
U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals ranks WakeMed as “high performing in cardiology and heart surgery.” Our heart and vascular programs also received the following recognitions for outstanding quality:
- WakeMed was chosen to participate in the American College of Cardiology Patient Navigator Program providing personalized services for patients.
- American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry – Get With the Guidelines Platinum Performance Achievement Award – Recognizing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients.
- Get With the Guidelines – Heart Failure Gold Quality Achievement Award – Recognizing heart failure care according to the American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology recommended guidelines.
- WakeMed Raleigh Campus received the American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline® Gold Quality Achievement Award STEMI Receiving Center for our commitment and success in implementing the highest standard of care for heart attack patients.
- WakeMed Health & Hospitals is a Blue Distinction Center+ for Cardiac Care by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
- WakeMed’s Heart Failure Program and Chest Pain Centers – Nationally accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
For more information about the innovative heart and vascular services offered at WakeMed Heart Center, visit hearts.wakemed.org.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.