Jennifer Farmer, WakeMed nurse supervisor in our Children’s Emergency Department, was recently honored by the North Carolina Nurses Association (NCNA) as one of the Triangle’s outstanding nurses – and we are so proud!
The News & Observer (N&O) partnered with the NCNA to “Celebrate Nursing” and recognize 10 outstanding nurses in the Triangle during National Nurses Week. Jennifer was among the 10 nurses – out of more than 100 nominations – chosen by the Board of the NCNA.
About Jennifer Farmer, BSN, RN
As a nurse supervisor in the WakeMed Children’s Emergency Department (ED), and a certified pediatric sexual assault nurse examiner, Jennifer Farmer has played an integral role in helping the Children’s ED better meet the physical and psychological needs of children who are victims of violence and sexual abuse. Just a few examples of her work and commitment to the well-being of children include:
- Sharing resources with other nurses and community organizations
- Leading an initiative to photograph pediatric injuries (related to child abuse and/or neglect)
- Creating evidence kit resource packs
- Developing a process for using digital forensic photography
- Providing individual training for clinical nurses as well as step-by-step reference guides
- Coordinating follow-up care (protective, legal, social services) for pediatric victims of violence
WakeMed is home to the only Children’s Hospital and stand-alone Children’s Emergency Department in Wake County. Thanks to Jennifer’s hard work and passion, we are better able to serve the youngest victims in need. Thank you, Jennifer, for your endless dedication to serve the children and families of our community!