Looking for a heart healthy, delicious dessert? Look no further! Check out this super easy, super healthy apple pomegranate crisp!
Apple Pomegranate Crisp
Yield: serves 4
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger or pumpkin spice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter or Smart Balance or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss apple cubes and pomegranate seeds with sugar and spices.
- In another small bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, walnuts, flour, and cinnamon.
- Add softened butter and vanilla, and mix thoroughly with a fork or your hands.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer the fruit and then the oat mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crisp is golden brown. Serve hot.
About Parul Kharod, MS, RD, LDN
Parul is a Clinical Dietitian in Outpatient Nutrition Services at WakeMed Cary Hospital. For information related to diet and nutrition, or to speak to one of our licensed, registered dietitians, contact Outpatient Nutrition Services today. Insurance coverage and costs may vary.