Forget Green Eggs & Ham! Add this green, heart healthy recipe as a side dish or as a filling for tacos or stuffed peppers or tomatoes.
Green Rice & Beans
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 green chili – Serrano or jalapeno (or 4 oz. can of mild green chilies)
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 4 cups water or low sodium broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans or chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. cumin or taco seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Add the spinach, chilies, ginger, garlic, and cilantro to a blender. Add ½-1 cup of the water or broth and blend into a smooth puree.
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté till slightly translucent.
- Add the brown rice. Stir until coated with oil.
- Add the spinach puree, remaining water/broth, beans, cumin and salt. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 35-40 minutes till almost all the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- This recipe can also be made in a crock pot.
- Serve hot as a side dish or use as a filling.
About Parul Kharod, MS, RD, LDN
Parul is a Clinical Dietitian in Outpatient Nutrition Services at WakeMed Cary Hospital. For information related to diet and nutrition, or to speak to one of our licensed, registered dietitians, contact Outpatient Nutrition Services today. Insurance coverage and costs may vary.