Looking for a heart-healthy, savory dish that’s delicious any time of the day? Try this one-of-a-kind Savory Steel-Cut Oats Pilaf recipe!
Savory Steel-Cut Oats Pilaf
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup frozen green beans
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a 2 quart pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook till translucent.
- Add all other vegetables, and cook for 2 minutes till slightly tender and coated with oil.
- Add the oats and stir well.
- Add the broth, water, and all seasonings. Let the mixture come to boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and oats are tender.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
About Parul Kharod, MS, RD, LDN
Parul is a Clinical Dietitian in Outpatient Nutrition Services at WakeMed Cary Hospital. For information related to diet and nutrition, or to speak to one of our licensed, registered dietitians, contact Outpatient Nutrition Services today. Insurance coverage and costs may vary.