Get ready to celebrate Independence Day with these super easy, fun and healthy “watermelon-inspired” recipes.
Watermelon is one of the most popular summer fruits around. As the name suggests, watermelon is made up of mostly water (about 92 percent), and it’s refreshing on those hot, North Carolina summer days.
Did you know that watermelon is also soaked in nutrients? Each juicy bite contains significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids.
Give one of these delicious watermelon recipes a try!
Watermelon Strawberry Caprese Salad
- 3 c. watermelon, cubed
- 2 c. strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 c. Feta, crumbled
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. fresh basil, torn
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, strawberries, feta and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Garnish with basil and serve.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 1 lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups seeded and finely chopped watermelon
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Tortilla or pita chips, for serving
- Stir together the lime zest, lime juice, sugar and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl.
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, mango, jalapeno, onion and basil and toss gently.
- Chill the salsa until ready to serve.
- Add the garlic salt just before serving. Serve with chips.
- 1 watermelon
- 1 quart fresh blueberries
- 2 C. Grape Nuts or similar cereal
- Cut a 3×3 in. square log about 6×8 in. long from the center of the watermelon by cutting off the sides and end.
- Slice the log in 3/4 in. thick squares. Cut square diagonally to form right triangles.
- Puree the blueberries.
- Spread the puree on a serving plate to imitate water.
- Sprinkle the cereal on the edge of the plate to act as the land.
- Place the triangles upright like sailboats on the water.
[via Recipe 4 Living]
World’s Best Watermelon Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen cubed watermelon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of honey or other sweetener to taste
- a few mint and/or basil leaves, if you want to take it to the next level
- Blend the watermelon and the water until smooth.
- Add the honey and mint and blend another 10-20 seconds until mostly smooth and the consistency of a slushy.
- Serve immediately!
[via Pinch of Yum]
Skinny Mini Watermelon Cakes
- 1 small watermelon
- 2 c. cool whip
- Rainbow nonpareils, for garnish
- Using a chef’s knife, slice a small portion of the watermelon rind off. Use the flat edge to stabilize the watermelon on a cutting board.
- Slice the watermelon in 2″ thick slices.
- Using a 3″ biscuit cutter, cut small rounds out of the slices of watermelon.
- Place a dollop of Cool Whip onto each round and sprinkle with nonpareils. Serve.
Share Your Favorite Watermelon Recipe!
Have a healthy, easy summer recipe that you’d like to share with us? Send us an email for a chance to be featured on our blog & social media! Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.