‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin-related! Recently, WakeMed dietitian, Parul Kharod, was featured in the Cary Magazine’s fall food article on pumpkin and its many nutritional benefits. Definitely check out the article in Cary Magazine’s September/October issue, out on stands now.
Below, we’ve re-posted Parul’s original recipe. Give it a try at your next lunch or dinner gathering.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Prep Time: 8h | Total Time: 8.5h
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water at least 6 to 8 hours and drained
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or Vitamix for a smooth creamy sauce.
- Add to cooked whole grain pasta.
- For a variation, add half of a roasted red bell pepper or ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes packed in oil.