Warm that winter chill with these deliciously simple and healthy soup recipes. The prep time is “soup”er short; all you need is a crock pot!
Slow-Cooker Beef & Barley Stew
Prep Time: 25 m | Total Time: 8 h 25 m
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked hulled (whole-grain) barley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large thyme sprigs, plus leaves for garnish
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (1-in.) pieces carrot
- Stir together first 8 ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs and bay leaves; dollop tomato paste on top.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add half of beef; cook until well browned, about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Add beef to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and beef.
- Scatter carrots over beef. Cover and cook on LOW until meat and grains are tender, about 8 hours.
- Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Ladle stew into 8 bowls; sprinkle with thyme leaves.
[via Cooking Light]
Sweet Potato, Chicken & Quinoa Soup
Prep Time: 10 m | Total Time: 4 h 10 m
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa I used a black bean quinoa package
- 2 pound large sweet potatoes ~3-1/2 cups
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (14.25 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and put them into the slow cooker along with the rinsed quinoa.
- Remove the skins and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add those in.
- Add in the undrained petite diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chili seasoning mix, and chicken broth.
- Place on high for 3-5 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper and if desired fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
[via Chelsea’s Messy Apron]
7-Ingredient Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
Prep Time: 20 m | Total Time: 8 h on low OR 4 h on high
- 3 cups dried black beans soaked
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil (Coconut oil or butter will also work just something to grease the pan and veggies)
- 1 yellow onion medium, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 TB salt (Reduce this if you plan to use broth that contains salt)
- 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, or a combo of water and broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime juiced (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and red pepper.
- Sauté the vegetables for 4-5 minutes, just until the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour the black beans into the crock-pot, followed by the pepper and onion mixture.
- Add the salt and broth. Stir the soup ingredients to combine.
- Cook the soup in the crock-pot for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Once the soup is done (the beans are soft), stir in the 1/2 cup of cilantro. If you’d like, stir in the juice from one lime, too.
- Serve warm with fresh cilantro, sour cream, rice, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, or salsa.
*The soup alone is very basic and meant to be served with toppings. You can also drain a portion of the beans to use for nachos, quesadillas, or tacos.
[via Kristin Marr, Live Simply]